St Maroun’s Primary school is an energetic and dynamic department. The teaching staff is constantly reviewing their programs in an endeavor to provide an exciting and evolving experience for all our students, to best prepare them for the changes taking place in the 21st century.

As a parent of a primary school student (K–6), it’s important to know what your child will be learning so you can support them at home. A child in K–6 will typically spend 80 percent of their time in a 9 am to 3 pm, five-day school week learning the syllabus. The remaining 20 percent of school time is spent on activities at the school’s discretion. This could include languages, additional school sport, concert rehearsals, religious education, and special projects

Primary Curriculum at St. Maroun’s College:

We follow the BOSTES syllabuses for English, Mathematics, Science (including Science and Technology K–6), History and Geography, Religion, Personal Development, Health and Physical Education, Creative Arts and Foreign Languages (French & Arabic).

Students also take part in a number of exciting excursions to further develop their understanding of the content being covered in the classroom setting.

Religion:

As a Maronite Catholic school run by the Maronite Sisters of the Holy Family, all our students study Religious Education. Religious Education aims to foster an integration of faith and life. We teach students about the liturgy and develop their understanding of religious teachings through the program To Know, Worship and Love. In addition, students undertake the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion in addition to attending mass on a regular basis.

Physical Education:

Students are exposed to a variety of sporting activities under the instruction of their teachers. In addition, external providers are invited into our community with students taking part in Dance Fever, Gymnastics and swimming lessons. The swimming lessons culminate in a swimming carnival and the opportunity is given to students to represent the College at cluster meets for both swimming and athletics. Our students are also given the opportunity to take part in Gala days for soccer and netball.

Music:

Through our specialist music teacher, students have an opportunity to learn how to play the recorder, ukulele and guitar in various year groups as well as develop their sense of rhythm and beat through activities such as bucket drumming.

Learn more at our Performing Art page on how Music helps their emotional and academic performance.

Homework Club:

This initiative run by the senior students of our College gives students in the primary years an opportunity to gain assistance every Monday afternoon after school in the College library until 4 pm in a nurturing caring environment where they are assisted by senior students under the supervision of teaching staff.

Explore more about the Extra-Curricular opportunities available to our students at St. Maroun’s College.

Languages Other Than English (LOTE) / Foreign Language:

All our students from Kindergarten to Year 6 are given the opportunity to take part in French and /or Arabic classes in a fun, interactive and enjoyable manner.

Here are some glimpses from our LOTE classes for Primary: 

Faith, Friendship and Honesty